For as much as I interact with bloggers on this site as well as others, I admittedly don’t go out of my way to shamelessly pander for awards. That’s not to say I won’t be self-promoting if I’m involved in some sort of voting, however I don’t go out of my way to post on every blog meme-related award in order to get someone to recognize my greatness in writing (TM).
This fact is a large part of why I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had received a Liebster Award from Jackie over at Indecisively Blogging. Essentially, there’s a few recommended rules for the award that you’re supposed to follow, as well as some questions to answer.
Liebster Award Rules
-State 11 facts about yourself
-Answer 11 questions given to you by the person who nominated you
-Nominate 11 new bloggers and set 11 questions for them to answer. These bloggers are supposed to be new bloggers or bloggers with less than 200 followers.
-Include the Liebster Award logo in your post and/or the side bar.
For what it’s worth, here’s the aforementioned logo.
Anyway…off to the requirements of the award itself.
11 Facts About Me
11. At one point in my life, I could do a frontflip from a standing start, as well as hit a backflip out of a cartwheel. I never took gymnastics classes, I just learned how to do it out of boredom before wrestling practice. Needless to say, I haven’t been able to hit either one since my first year of college.
10. I don’t get the appeal to Seinfeld, Arrested Development, or Community. The first two just aren’t funny at all, while Community I never really got into.
9. The only animal I ever “owned” as a child was a rabbit. It lived at my Grandma’s, so I only saw it occasionally. He liked cabbage a lot.
8. As a child, I told my dad I wanted to play the violin. He talked me out of it and convinced me to play trumpet, that way he wouldn’t have to buy a new instrument (my dad played trumpet in middle school). It was a great decision in retrospect.
7. Despite growing up in Ohio, I’ve been a lifelong Seattle Seahawks fan. I also hate almost every team from the state of Ohio (save for the Columbus Blue Jackets).
6. I’ve collected football cards since I was a kid. While I haven’t actively been buying them in 3-5 years, I still have quite a few to my name.
5. As of March 1, 2014, I’ve been to 18 of the 50 US states.
4. Any phone call that’s placed before 930 in the morning being placed way too early in the day. I’ve been a firm believer of this since I was a teen, however as I’ve grown older, it’s become more true.
3. I’m a firm believer that Tim Horton’s has the best coffee of any coffee shop chain in the world. Starbucks is a decent substitute, but nowhere close to being in the same league. Caribou and Peets will work in a pinch. Dunkin Donuts’ coffee might as well be brown urine.
2. I’ve held at least a part-time job nearly continuously since two weeks before my 15th birthday.
1. I cannot write fiction with anyone in the same room. It breaks my concentration.
11 Questions To Answer
1. What is your most embarrassing moment?
Sometime during my first year of college, I was convinced this girl I worked with was hitting on me. A group of four of us from the dorm I worked in went out to dinner and a movie, so I was all kinds of excited to spend some time with her. During the movie, I reached over to hold her hand, only to see that she had left…along with another guy that had met our group at the theater.
2. If you had to have the same thing for dinner every night for the rest of your life, what would you want that dinner to be?
Shell macaroni in cream of mushroom soup, topped with shredded provolone cheese.
3. If you could invite one celebrity over for dinner, who would that be? Why?
Since there’s not a designation as to whether or not the celebrity is alive or dead, I’m going to go with Kurt Cobain. I’ve been a fan of Nirvana’s music for a long time, however Cobain died when I was quite young, so I never really got to hear about what he was like in person.
4. What is your favorite movie?
The Truman Show
5. What are your top 3 guilty pleasures?
Guilty pleasures implies I don’t tell people I do them. I don’t really have anything that falls into that list. That said, I’m a fan of professional wrestling, I’ll go out of my way to find a quiet room and stay up extra late to write short stories, and I really like Wild Cherry Pepsi.
6. What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?
I don’t own an iPod. That said, the most embarrassing song on my computer is one of the ones on this list. I’ll leave it to you to figure out which one it is.
7. If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
I really like the entire soundtrack to the movie The Hours. I don’t think any life can have a true theme song, as there’s too many ups and downs for a single song to mean everything.
8. If you had the chance to be a contestant on a game show, which game show would you pick?
Jeopardy. I’d like to think I can do pretty well on there.
9. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Rocky road ice cream, though Haagen Dazs’ bourbon pecan praline is a close second.
10. What is your favorite book?
1984 by George Orwell. I actually discussed my favorite books of all time quite recently for those interested.
11. What websites do you visit most frequently?
I tend to frequent Fark and Grantland quite a bit. Outside of that, almost everything I read is part of the blogging world.
11 Nominated Bloggers And Their Questions
The blogs I nominate are as follows:
- Lazy Happy Bored Happy Sad
- Break The Sky
- Lizzy Finch
- From The Stupidest Corner Of My Mind
- Cassandra’s Curse
- Static Image
- Musings of a Crazy Cat Girl
- Laidig’s Broadway
- Love Hope and Faith Forever
- Kristina With A Kay
And 11 Questions –
- What is your earliest memory?
- What do you consider to be the biggest scientific breakthrough of all time?
- What is your favorite color? Why?
- If you could pick one city to live in for the rest of your life, where would you choose?
- What is your favorite video game?
- If you could go back in time and change one thing about your life, what would you pick?
- What’s the ideal temperature for your home?
- What is your favorite movie ever?
- Why did you start your blog?
- What is the earliest acceptable date for people to start hanging Christmas lights?
- Shower or bath? Why?